Turn on any news station right now and it’s 24/7 coverage of the Coronavirus. Log into Facebook and 90% of the posts are about Coronavirus. Businesses are shutting down, schools are shutting down, entire season’s of sporting events are shutting down. In the meantime we’re all told not to panic. Just wash your hands, don’t touch your face, and avoid crowded areas.
Is that really our only hope here? I mean how are we to handle life in the season of Coronavirus? It’s true that we face a lot of uncertainty ahead and things will likely get worse before they get any better. But sometimes when in a state of panic we tend to turn to the “World’s System” for guidance and wisdom. We also tend to turn to our own wit, and survival instincts which unfortunately leads to empty shelves of pasta and toilet paper. Why we will ever need an over abundance of spaghetti and toilet paper during a viral pandemic I’ll never know. But I do know this. Hebrews 13:8-9 tells us that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever and reminds us that our strength is found in nothing other than the grace of God.
So what do we do, you ask? I say we cling to the word of God like it’s the last roll of TP in the Supermarket. In this fast paced, ever changing environment that we find ourselves living in, our God never changes. Jesus said in Matthew 24:35 that Heaven and Earth may pass away, but His words will never pass away. Here is some truth to cling to during these uncertain times:
- 2 Timothy 1:7 – For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
- Isaiah 35:4 – Say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, and do not fear, for your God is coming to destroy your enemies. He is coming to save you.”
- Isaiah 40:31 – But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.
- John 14:1 – Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me.
- Joshua 1:9 – This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
- Psalm 34:4 – I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears.
- Romans 8:38:39 – And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.
There are so many other verses that can be listed here, but these are just a few from the NLT translation of the Bible. My point in writing this today is, whether you are quarantined, forced to stay home for one reason or another, consider whether this may just be another provision of God’s grace. Allowing us to focus on him and not on the things going on around us. So yes, wash your hands, please don’t touch your face, and if you feel so inclined, don’t go out to crowded areas. However the best advice that I could give is to stick close to the word of God through this time. It will be your stability in an unstable time and a source of encouragement and strength in a season of uncertainty and fear.
May God bless you and keep you safe and well. If you need anything please let us know.